I think stories are like dreams. We don’t really know why we have them, but without them, we’d go insane. Whether I’m acting or writing, I see myself first as a storyteller.
The best stories shift the kaleidoscope in our mind to reveal fresh patterns and they do that other welcome thing – make us realize we aren’t alone; the person next to you is just as scared and jealous and egotistical and shy as you are. That’s why I make art – to forge deeper connections.
I grew up in a small Australian town called Quirindi. It means “nest in the hills” in the language of the Kamilaroi tribe. On top of the highest neighboring hill, there’s a lookout called, “Who-A-Thought-It”. I used to love standing up there, turning in a circle imagining the exotic lives being lived in great cities beyond the hills, on the far side of vast oceans.
At 18, I traveled beyond the hills to a great city, Sydney, where I trained as an actor and worked for 13 years in theatre, film and TV. I then crossed a vast ocean to study writing in another great city, New York, where I met my wife and collaborator, the composer, SoHee Youn.
While I pursue acting, SoHee and I are working on a new full-length musical, I Spy A Spy.
I like to say I’m not insane, I’m just a New Yorker.
• March 2017: Jamie and his wife and collaborator, SoHee Youn, will present a fourth 29-hour reading of their original, full length musical, I Spy A Spy on March 6th and 7th, 2017
• March 2017: Jamie begins rehearsal for the Off Broadway production of Sweeney Todd at Barrow Street Theatre playing Judge Turpin.
• February 2017: Guest stars as Robert Stigwood in episodes 11 & 12 of the new Netflix/Baz Luhrmann series, The Get Down.
• January 2017: Jamie guest stars as Eddie in episodes 103 & 104 of Chicago Fire.
• January 2017: Jamie played role of Alex in upcoming short film, The Fifth Borough.
• December 2016: Jamie played Hugh Jackman's boss in the upcoming feature film, The Greatest Showman.
• April/May 2016: Played Aristide Bruant in the new musical, My Paris, directed by Kathleen Marshall at Long Wharf Theatre in CT.
• March 2016: Appeared as Roman in episode 13 of Blindspot on NBC.
• March 2016: Appeared as Lyle in episode 9 of The Family on ABC.